Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a general term used to describe disorders that involve chronic inflammation of your digestive tract. Types of IBD include:
● Ulcerative colitis. This condition causes long-lasting inflammation and sores (ulcers) in the innermost lining of your large intestine (colon) and rectum.
● Crohn's disease. This type of IBD is characterized by inflammation of the lining of your digestive tract which often spreads deep into affected tissues.
Both ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease usually involve severe diarrhea, abdominal pain, fatigue and weight loss. IBD can be debilitating and sometimes leads to life-threatening complications.
HTD2802 atenuates the inflammatory response associated with IBD without concerns about immune suppression.
In a mouse model of IBD, HTD2802 was found to:
● Prevent body weight loss
● Normalize colon weight/length ratio
● Reduce fecal neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL), a biomarker of IBD
● Reduce IL-6 in plasma, which is thought to play a crucial part in the uncontrolled intestinal inflammatory process
● Attenuate the histological changed induced by destran sulfate sodium (DSS).